Saturday, September 20, 2008

Leaving Microsoft - July 12, 2008

Yeah, this is huge for me. I know it has nothing to do with my hair but for me to consider leaving Microsoft for Apple is whole other journey. I have been a huge supporter of Microsoft since I found PCs. We’re talking windows 3.1 and Dos, I was a beta tester of Windows 98 (OK i’m still a beta tester of Windows update). But the one thing I’ve always been a fan of is all-in-one devices. I’ve been waiting for someone to give me the ability to carry around a cell phone, pda, mp3 player and my home computer all in my pocket.

I’ve experimented with PDA phones and smart-phones too numerous to count. Either it sucked as a phone or it sucked as a PDA or it sucked in it’s mediocre effort to combine the two. Usually it’s just too much bulk to carry around. Even now if I just want to go for a walk, I have this block of a phone called a t-mobile wing and my ipod and keys and ID and money. Jeez, either my pockets are filled to capacity or a I carry a purse which isn’t really conducive to taking a walk.

Ok, enough gripping. I bought an iphone 3G today. I’ve been looking at the iphone for a while but I didn’t like the price and was still stuck on Microsoft products, OS, PC, etc. But now in one swoop, I can sell my smartphone and ipod and more than pay for my new all-in-one Apple device. Actually my romance with Apple began when I bought my ipod. Now I’ve ordered an iPhone. What’s next, an iMac?

Sorry Bill but you did leave first.

I also neglected to mention that Vista played a role in this too. After 3 failed attempts to upgrade from XP on my Dell XPS 400 (which was only a year old when Vista came out), I gave up. Mind you I spent serious cash on upgrading my video card and adding more ram. I also off loaded software that wasn’t supported all to make the transition to Vista easier. Unfortunately Vista refused to play nice so I stayed with Windows Media XP. Now more and more people are leaving Vista going back to XP. So I don’t feel bad about moving over to Apple. I’m just sorry I didn’t go with it sooner.

1 comment:

dollhouse9 said...

Categories: Apple · Microsoft
1 response so far ↓

*

Lalaboobaby // August 3, 2008 at 9:55 pm (edit)

First of all good luck on your SL’s. I just recently had my installed and loving every minute of it. On another note…I love my 3G iPhone. I had the 1st generation that I purchased in December and sold to get the new one. With all the new apps available, my iPhone has become so valuable to me, even for posting updates to my SL blog. Once you get yours (if you haven’t gotten it yet), you’ll love it. By the way you can check out my blog at http://naturalhairjournalsisterlocks.blogspot.com/

Love, peace, and no hair grease.