Saturday, September 20, 2008

Week 8 Update - August 24, 2008

I had a re-tightening session last week. It was technically my 2nd since I saw my consultant week 2 right after I did my first wash and she re-tightened some that had slipped. But this was the first full re-tightening session and it took about 3 hours. The locks in the back around the edges had to be re-done as they had completely came loose. There were also some around the edges in the front that came loose but these were all very small locks to begin with.

I asked her not to make those ‘tight’ because the last time I saw her, she re-did them tight. I had a headache at work that day and my head was tender to the touch where those small braids were for a few days after. I am concerned because they are so small and because they were so tight they were curled up into little balls. She told me to take some Tylenol. I didn’t really appreciate that suggestions and again asked her not to braid them tight. So this time they weren’t as tight but later that day, my head did feel tender around those particular braids again.

So now I have a dilemma. On the one hand, I like the work she does and the atmosphere of her studio. She’s very personable and provides a lot of information. On the other hand, I don’t want someone who’s going to dismiss my concerns about the tight locs. I already know what will happen in the long run and a pain pill won’t change that. I know that I’m tender headed, I accept that but these locks are thin to begin with and the stress of having them braided too tight will only make then fragile and break off in the end. Aside from that, I don’t ordinarily get headaches unless I’m sick or my allergies are flaring up. I prefer not to take pills so if I can avoid a headache by not having tight braids, that’s my choice. I don’t want my consultant deciding that I will suffer the headaches because she wants to force these small locs to stay braided.

Her studio is very convenient but sometime over the next 6 weeks, I think I’ll have to find a new Sisterlock consultant. I hate to have to do that but I don’t see any other alternative.

No comments: